Electric trams were introduced in Bucharest in 1894
Bucharest was the second European city to have an electric tram. The first Bucharest electric tramcar was functional at 9th of December 1894, on the route Cotroceni – Obor Market, despite the fact that some of the city counselors voted against this, for the reason that… “I am against of having electric tramcars in Bucharest. These will be a calamity for all the citizens because the electric wires could thunder people and animals and we all can see what a hideous look we have with all those wires hanged in the air on horrible pillars!“.
But in the end, the city hall decided that Bucharest needs electric trams. And tried to prevent people by sticking posters all over the city with a message: “Because we introduced the electric tramcars, we want to announce everyone that yoking out the oxes on the tram lines is totally forbidden because this action can have terrible consequences. Even the people should get out from the tram’s lines when the vehicle is coming“.
Before the electric tramcars, Bucharest had horsecars. In 1848 arrived the first public transportation vehicle of the city: “a treasure with horses, for transporting a few persons… the ones who needs to go from Bucharest to the princely estate of Baneasa”. On the holiday dates, the cost of a ticket was “one șfanț” and ”only 60 parale” on the regular days. The system got popular, due to the fact that the rides were regular and pretty cheap, so shortly arrived the first tramcars capable of transporting 8, 10 or 12 persons. On 28th December 1872, the first horsecar was introduced in Bucharest and got more and more popular and developed in the next 50 years, until the electric tramcars got flowered. The last horsecar ride in Bucharest was at the end of year 1929.
Returning to the first horsecar trail, this was done on the route from Gara de Nord (North Station) – Calea Grivitei – Sf. Gheorghe Square – Calea Mosilor – Obor. The carriage was pulled by two horses and had the inscription ”Bd. Mosilor”. The car body was closed and had two lateral long seats on all of the lenght. Every seat could guest a maximum of 6 persons. Another 14 persons could stand up in the middle. In the back, another two platforms could guest 12 people. At that time, the horsecar was considered a progress factor, standing in the same row with the big cities of the world.
[Source: Silviu N. Dragomir – A less known Bucharest, Ed. Lucman]